BMTC
Almost a month after I enlisted to Pulau Tekong BMTC. Though I haven't changed much in my physical appearance, I have started to become mentally stronger through observation of the people around me.
Although I'm not staying in my bunk anymore, I am still currently under Apache Company, Platoon 3, Section 3. I have been given an Out Of Training (OOT) status because of my back problem, and am now 'working' in the officer's mess (something like a lounge).
I was confined with my company for the first 2 weeks (compulsary), and many things happened. Firstly, on the day of enlistment, I had already had a back sprain, but I still had to carry all the other bags that the army issued to us. All the bags (including my own) add up to more than 10+kg and that added an extra strain to my back.
All of us had to move the bags up and down the stairs for the first night because we did not have a permanent "lodging" at K coy. We ended up at A coy in the night and rested there; not knowing that it was also a temporary arrangment. The next night, we moved everything down again, this time to finally confirm our platoon and section and beds, etc.
So in total, we moved up and down about 5 times (imagine the strain on my back).
Next, there was a fire drill in the first week, my back wasn't fully recovered yet by then, so unfortunately, rushing down from the 4th floor (platoon 3 level) did worsen my back further.
Thus on the 9th of June, my back couldn't take it any further, and I was admitted to the sick bay to stay for around 4 nights.
Food
I have to agree on one thing, prior to staying in the sick bay, that the cookhouse food was no where near satisfactory. Yet after staying in for 4 nights in the sick bay (everyday porridge can die one), I finally agree with all my other friends that the cookhouse food is very good.
The thing about staying in Tekong, there is hardly any chance to spend money. The most is saving up the cash to take cab when booking out. In fact, the lodging and food provided is actually making our lives easier (though the money is taxpayer's money). What better place to start saving money other than in Tekong?
Friends
I have gotten on very close terms with my bunk mates during the 2 weeks confinement and found out that many of them are very good to me. It is a case of being friendly and understanding to one another. And also while in the officer's mess, I have known new friends who are understanding as well. They say army friends last for a long time, this i believe to be true.
Sleeping in the same bunk, eating together, doing everything together makes the bunk become more united. Sharing our lives with each other also makes it more interesting in the bunk as we begin to embrace and understand each other who are from different backgrounds. This is a kind of life not experienced up till now.
Gone from a world of pleasure,
Leaving the shell behind.
Gone from the world of protection,
Leaving the nest at last.
Gone are the days of freedom,
Learning to be a man.
Gone is the self-centered one,
Losing the arrogance for good.
That is the way of the army.
0 Footsteps:
Post a Comment