Friday, 19 January 2007

Money over Relationships?

There are certain things in life that are more important than money. Yet amidst all the importance placed on non-material things, most people would prefer to have monetary gains rather than improvement on relationship.

The past few days I've been stuck in camp, unable to get out of the shithole of being a paperwork ic in camp. There was an inspection on how well our camp manages itself and well, the grading would give the regulars a little bonus if it was an 'A'. However, all the hardwork is done by the NSFs (work done doesn't equate to benefits gained).

Thus far, I have not heard about any additional off days being added to the department's off register. Nor do I hear of any department outing. Our allowance still stays the same and all the hard work that we have put in for the past few weeks have been put to waste.

Next up, will be the stocktake that will further boost the unit's capabilities (if it has any in the first place). All these are just part and parcel of getting the best of BUC (Best Unit Competition), in which of course a few measly off days would be given by the CO if we were to get the best unit. All the regulars can choose to work hard together with the NSFs, or choose to relax one corner and let all the shitty work roll down on to us.

Being an infantry man, you do not need to worry about anything other than performing well for the exercises. Being a storeman, you need to constantly worry about the equipments in your store and who you lent it to. Being in charge of paperwork makes you worry constantly about the equipments; about the department; about the administration and lastly about accountability.

Lets face it, it is no longer easy to be a storeman or a clerk (typing paperwork blah blah is too tedious XD). If there's one advice I'd give for my younger peers, I'd tell them not to chao keng in army. Be brave and face the life of an infantry man, it will be good despite the fact that it will be tough with the training and all (but you get to slack equally long too, unlike us storeman).

The experience which I had over the past few days let me think about the basics of life too. About how everyday people would choose money over relationships at some point in their lives. True, most people would value friendships but it has already become passe (note: I DO value my friends, but most youngsters wouldn't care about their friends these days) in the recent years.

Money makes the world go round. True.

Without money, nothing can be done. Even looking for a job would sometimes require money (make-overs and photoshoots to get a presentable resume photo, etc). With money also brings trouble (families broken because of inheritance, a most common occurrance). What is the limit of one's greed for money?

Are the very foundations of relationships that brittle in the 20th century? I believe friends will be there for each other no matter what, but there will be times when one's friends won't be able to help at all.

I miss going out with friends (or acquaintances) in a big group, to enjoy and slack around. Those times are far behind me during my poly days, but soon after I ORD, I will look for them again.

New look

Its the new year, there are new clothes, new beginnings and new hopes. I would like to have a new look, both for my room and for my physical appearance. I'm bored of the same routine colours of my room and would like to have some nice soothing colour of maybe blue or purple.

My clothes and look needs to be changed to a more trendy style. Most importantly, my weight. Need a dietician here, anyone can volunteer? hehehe XD

Remember the times we spent together,
playing down the street and gutter,
having fun with laughter asunder,
oh having fun we are.

Remember how we stuck up for each other,
being there in times of need and danger,
holding on to each other,
oh how close we are.

Friends, we may be, for now until forever,
A promise to be there, for you, none other.

0 Footsteps: